Monday, January 19, 2009

Our Children--Our Future Hope!

I love articles like this one from Dr. William Campbell Douglass, II M.D. because it reminds me that the examples I have been setting and the ideas I have been teaching my children about being responsible for their own health and not allowing Big Pharma and/or the FDA to brainwash them and being aware of what goes into their bodies does make a difference!

Children are the future hope of alternative medicine

"Dear Friend,

In spite Big Pharma – and its willing handmaiden, the FDA – alternative health supplements are actually gaining in popularity. In fact, so-called "alternative" medicines could be more mainstream than you realize. A new study shows that as many as one in nine children and teens try nontraditional remedies.

The study was conducted by the National Center for Complimentary and Alternative Medicine, and the authors seemed pleasantly surprised by the results – as am I. According to the results, as many as 2.8 million young people use supplements.

As you know, I've been a longtime advocate of natural remedies, and at one time or another, I've written you about my support of pretty much everything that was defined by this study as "alternative medicine": homeopathy, acupuncture, chiropractic, as well as herbal supplements like ginseng and fish oil.

This was the first study to ever focus on kids' use of alternative medicines. And the only thing that gives me pause about what they authors call the "amazing" results of this study is that children and teens from age 18 and younger rarely – if ever – make independent health care choices. So of course, the practices of the parents of these kids played is key to these results.

According to the study, kids with parents or relatives who use alternative medicines were five times more likely to use the same therapies. A statistic that I hardly find surprising at all.

But at the very least, you can infer from this study that the diehards like myself who are open to the realities and benefits of alternative medicines have at the very least planted the idea of these nontraditional options in the minds of their offspring – and in that way the "movement" will continue to move forward."
-William Campbell Douglas, II M.D.
http://www.douglassreport.com

Yes, Dr. Douglass, I am one of those dedicated parents determined to make a difference in the minds of our offspring. I can't help but smile when I see my own 12-year old daughter put an item back in the grocery store announcing that it contains high fructose corn syrup. I am happy to "go crazy" with my kids at our local farmers markets as we buy the fruits and veggies we love that we know are organic AND locally-grown! Love getting 'down and dirty' with my kids as we work in our little garden! There's nothing quite as delicious as enjoying a guacamole salsa (yummy!) made with our own home-grown tomatoes, chilies, and mouth-watering avocados from our very own tree fertilized with nothing more than eggshells, banana peels and worm castings from our own worm bin! When choosing supplements for my children, it doesn't get any better than MaxGXL and Max N-FUZE --together they are truly the ultimate "health insurance" for my children!!

0 Comments: